tiistai 10. syyskuuta 2013

September 6th 2013

Bolshoy Lyahovskiy Island
73° 25,200' N, 139° 48,330' E

While in Russia, we have been obliged to report our co-ordinates, course,
speed, wind, clouds, waves, air temperature, water temperature, air
pressure, fog, and ice. The report is emailed daily to Evgeny who, in
return, provides us with both ice and weather information as necessary.
Yesterday, he sent us the following message:

Hi Pekka!

On 07.09.2013 12UTC large cyclone will be at Tiksi.
Then 08.09.2013 21UTC cyclone's (storm) center will be on your way at 71N
161E (Krestovsky island).
It may be necessary to stop near Krestovsky island from 00UTC until 21UTC
In the rear of the cyclone will be a strong wind W, SW 20-25 m/s.


Hence it seems that we may have to stay here longer than originally
planned. Though our anchorage is not a proper bay but more like a small
indentation in the shoreline, we should be quite well protected against
winds coming from the north-east, east, south-east, and maybe even from
the south. And when the wind eventually turns to the west/south-west as
forecast, we will be ready to take advantage of this and continue our
passage towards Pevek.

Since we have had nothing better to do, we have prepared our good boat
Sarema for the cyclone-force winds in case the cyclone decides to come
this way. I don't know much about cyclones but I would think that they are
not very different from hurricanes which can alter their course quite
unexpectedly. To be on the safe side, we have wrapped up the sails,
removed all loose items from the deck, and also taken out a second anchor
in case we should need it. Now, all we can do is wait!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti